Historic Planned Community of Rancho Santa Fe

California State Historic Landmark 982

Plaque Photo:

#982 Rancho Santa Fe
Rancho Santa Fe began as Rancho San Dieguito, a land grant of nearly 9,000 acres made to Juan Maria Osuna in 1845. The Santa Fe Railway Company later used the land to plant thousands of eucalyptus trees for use as railroad ties. In the 1920s Rancho Santa Fe became one of the state's first planned communities unified by a single architectural theme, the Spanish Colonial Revival. Lilian Rice, one of California's first successful woman architects, supervised the development and designed many of the buildings.

Site Photo:




Village green in front of the Inn, Rancho Santa Fe.

Return to other landmarks in San Diego county.

Send comments to:
Donald Laird