Weaverville Joss House

California State Historic Landmark 709

Plaque exists. Site exists. Landmark location. Links

Plaque Photo:

#709 Won Lim Miao
Hundreds of Chinese miners came to the Weaverville area in the 1850's and prospered despite hardships, discrimination and tax on foreign miners. The first house of worship burned in 1873; the Chinese continued their religious traditions in the present temple, dedicated April 18, 1874. Moon Lim Lee, trustee and grandson of one of its contributors, gift-deeded the "Temple amongst the forest beneath the clouds" to the state.

This joss house was built in 1874 by Chinese miners who came to Trinity County in search of gold.

Site Photo:



SW corner of Hwy 299 and Oregon St, Weaverville.


Landmark logo Return to other landmarks in Trinity county.

Send comments to:
Donald Laird