San Pasqual Battlefield Park
California State Historic Landmark 533
#533 San Pasqual Battlefield
While marching to the conquest and occupation of California during the Mexican War, a detachment of 1st U.S. Dragoons, under the command of Brig. Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, was met on this site by native California lancers, under the command of Gen. Andres Pico. In this battle, fought on December 6, 1846, severe losses were incurred by the American forces. The native Californians withdrew after Kearny had rallied his men on the field. Gallant action on the part of both forces characterized the battle of San Pasqual, one of the significant actions during the Mexican War of 1846-1848.
#533 San Pasqual
The state of California honors with this monument the American soldiers who, under the leadership of Brig. Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, Captain Abraham R. Johnston, Captain Benjamin D. Moore, Edward F. Beale, U.S.N., and Kit Carson, the scout, gave their lives in the battle of San Pasqual between the Americans and Mexicans, December 6-10, 1846.
San Pasqual Battlefield SHP. Plaque: Hwy 78 (PM 25.1) at Old Pasqual Rd; site 0.2 mi E of plaque, 7 mi SE of Escondido..
Return to other landmarks in San Diego county.
Send comments to: