California State Historic Landmark 492
#492 Buttonwillow Tree
A lone tree landmark on an old trans-valley trail. It was an ancient Yokuts Indian meeting place, later a location for white stock rodeos. Miller and Lux established their headquarters and store here about 1885. The town of Buttonwillow takes its name from this old tree and rodeo grounds.
On Buttonwillow Dr, 0.5 mi N of State Hwy 58, Buttonwillow.
Return to other landmarks in Kern county.
Send comments to: