Campo Stone Store
California State Historic Landmark 411
#411 Campo Stone Store
The pioneer Gaskill brothers of 1868 built a frame store which was raided on December 4, 1875, by border bandits. This fort-like replacement of summer, 1885, was bought in 1896 by E.T. Aiken, resold to Klauber Wangenheim, 1898, and operated by Henry Marcus Johnson as the Mountain Commercial Company until 1925. In disrepair, it was bought after 1938 by E.M. Statler, given to San Diego County, and restored, 1943-48, as a museum.
#411 Old Campo Store
Dedicated to the pioneers of San Diego County. Built in 1868 by L.H. and S.E. Gaskill. Historic stone store - post office - bank - stage station. Scene, famous bandit raid December 5, 1875.
State Hwy 94 (PM 50.6), at Campo Creek, Campo.
Return to other landmarks in San Diego county.
Send comments to: